Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm a day behind...

I had a little problem with my internet connection at the hotel last night....I didn't have one. So I am here at the convention center an hour early. I am sitting in the "Bloggers' Cafe" (no seriously!). I am surrounded by some of the nerdiest bloggers in the world. Right now many of them are in awe because there is a well-known author and lecturer of blogging that has joined us.
So what did we do yesterday? Well, I attended the first full day of the NECC conference. I started a separate blog for that, because it is a bunch of stuff that most of you could care less about. If you are truly interested the website for that is: http://myneccnotes2008.blogspot.com

Jeanette and Matthew stayed behind at the hotel. Jeanette had to do a little bit of laundry. The tricky part was that the one washer at our hotel was broken, so she had to do the wash in the bathtub. Luckily the dryer worked, because it is so humid here that nothing air dries. Matthew managed to lose the room key by sticking it down the drain when Jeanette was doing the laundry. The cleaning lady was nice enough to let her back in our room.
Jeanette also took Matthew over to the mall. In the process of buying some coffee she dropped her credit card into a vent on one of their coolers. There was an employee there who managed to squeeze her hand in to get it out. By the sound of it, Jeanette had an exciting morning.
In the evening I attended a wine and cheese reception hosted by Smart Technologies. They are a Canadian company that manufactures the Smartboard (interactive whiteboard) and many other cool tools. I was invited to their reception, because I am a Smart Exemplary Educator. I had a chance to talk to their founders and many of their product developers. It was pretty cool.
After the reception I met up with Jeanette and Matthew for dinner. We took another stroll around part of the Riverwalk and headed back to the hotel. I went back out to get some milk for Matthew. There is a CVS on the Riverwalk. It's not your typical CVS. There is not pharmacy. It's basically just a place to get drinks, first aid, and tourist junk. On the way back I noticed a guy swimming in the river. Apparently he had lost his keys, because he kept grabbing for something and just came up with rocks.
That was pretty much our day. Sorry it wasn’t too exciting.

1 comment:

Erik & Megan said...

Two blogs for one vacation...man, you are a nerd.

Smart Exemplary Teachers, well, wooo hooo!!! Don't get too big of a head. Always remember who got you into infecting kid's with these radical ideas. :)

You should have snapped a picture of the swimming guy. That would have been classic.

From one blogger to another...not having an internet connection is a pain in the butt. It is just slightly less annoying that using this interface to upload pictures on to the blog. You go to love the autoformatting it pulls over on you.