Today was the second day of the NECC conference. I had a chance to attend a few workshops of some well known tech educators. It seems like all the tech gurus think that Second Life is going to be the future of how we learn. Second Life is a virtual online world where you create your own character, buy land, build houses, and have access to all kinds of information. The name says it all. I think it is a little too weird for me…maybe.
At one of the workshops I attended the presenter had a book signing immediately after the discussion. His publisher was giving away 300 books at their booth in the vendor hall. I decided I could afford a free book, so I got in line. Apparently there were so many people in line that the fire marshal made the publisher tell everyone to come back in groups. They passed out 300 pieces of paper with a time to come back on them. If you didn’t get a piece of paper, you didn’t get a free book. Well, I was one of the last people to get the piece of paper. I came back about an hour and a half later and met the author. I told him that I had heard another keynote he did in Phoenix a few years ago. He asked me what I did. I told him I was a 2nd Grade teacher, and he said, “Oh, I remember Phoenix…that was a long time ago.” My interpretation of that was….Oh, I was in Phoenix? When in the heck was that?” This is what he wrote inside of my book, “Hi Robert, Alan November.” How personable! I guess after almost 300 book signings you run out of things to say. I do plan on reading the book.
I spent the rest of my afternoon checking out the vendor hall. I think I have walked almost the entire exhibit hall. I don’t know how many million square feet it is, but it must be at least half a mile long. I even had the chance to ride a mechanical bull. I don’t remember what vendor it was. They took a picture of me, and gave me a card with a number on it so that I would go to their
Jeanette and Matthew spent the morning at the Children’s Museum. Matthew had a blast playing with all of the interactive exhibits. They napped in the afternoon, and when I got back to the hotel we all went to the AzTEA reception at the Rio Rio Cantina. AzTEA is the Arizona chapter of ISTE (International Society of Technology Educators). I had a chance to meet up with some of the people I know from Arizona. There are so many people attending this conference that I haven’t really seen too many of the Arizona people. There were probably over 150 people from Arizona at the reception. There was also a group from Australia and Germany. I’m not sure why they were there….probably for the free food.
1 comment:
Second Life being the future of education? And, I thought that there was no way I could become more pessimistic about the route we are traveling as a culture! :)
Hey, be glad for 3 minutes of rain. That is about 180 more seconds worth of rain than we are getting. However, they have forecasted a slight chance of rain today, which too all valley residents means that the clouds will come with in 150 miles of city.
Reading this makes me want to try out a convention. Unfortunately, my school district is not nearly as progressive as yours. However, I am taking some required inservice at the beginning of the year:
-Application and Use of Slide Rules in Mathematical Reasoning
-Methodological Outlooks on the Student Use of Slates
-Use, Maintenance, and Upkeep of Mimeograph Machines
I really looking forward to the last one, so I will not have to have students copy all their homework off the chalkboard.
Post a Comment